Wednesday 8 February 2012

Wusthof Gourmet 7-Piece Knife Set with Block

If you have not taken culinary classes or at the very least watched some of the online videos on knife handling, do NOT buy these knives. They are one of the top professional brands in the world, and one slice through a vegetable will quickly show why.

My set arrived today, so I took out an onion and diced it in the manner in which I learned from a certified chef, and after I was amazed at how easily the task was completed, I noticed that my cuts were much more consistent and professional than they had been with what was a very good knife for a cheapie -- and consistent cuts are critical in being able to cook the lot evenly and consistently. It sliced rather than tore, and it will take a finger to the bone before one knows he or she has been cut. That's why it's best to learn the professional pinch grip rather than the common hammer grip before trying these out.

I managed to buy my set through Warehouse Deals, used like new, and they came with original packaging (knive blades in paper sleeves and knives in plastic sleeves, all in a separate box; block shrink-wrapped in plastic). I am very pleased and know these will probably be the last knives I ever have to buy. And if not, they have already raised my culinary skills by several degrees.

No comments: