Friday 12 November 2010

Resources for Serious Software Developers

Following up on the post on "Why Are There More Python Jobs Than Java?" , which was a nice post by the way - I thought I would check out a few of the books suggested in some of the comments.

Seven Languages in Seven Weeks and Pro Python (suggested by co-workers)  are some of the books suggested so being the sort of person that I am, I gave in and bought these two books. If you are anything like me and are very interested in lots of programming languages, you will definitely like the Seven Languages in Seven Weeks book.

This book shows you how to learn and use various languages within a week. Although 7 days is not enough to master any language, but it is enough to get you working with the language.


I have been working with Java for a little more than 7 years, but still find it quite interesting to work with. But with the increase in Python's popularity it is hard not to take notice and start getting one's hands dirty. With that in mind,  I thought it won't hurt to play around with a little bit with Python and Django as recommended in the Seven Languages in Seven Weeks book.

One thing that developers are know for is that flexibility and speed with which the pick up a new language by the throat and get it to sing and dance. This is something that I have noticed over the years that is common amongst developers - they are always exploring technologies and new languages. Being the a developer myself, this was something I had to do as well.

So, having fallen behind on some of the chapters and some little pet project I was working on (just to learn to use Django), I have been putting in more effort and looking forward to finishing the book and the project. That means that the focus is now to go through the Seven Languages in Seven Weeks in all its entirety and see what comes how it turns out.

No comments: