Sunday 21 November 2010

5 Top 17 Inch Laptop Backpacks

As someone who has been working with computers for the last 16 years, most part of that time is spent on the road. Which means that I move around with my laptop, headphones, Sanyo HD Cameras and all sort of personal effects that I might find useful on my globe-trotting adventures.

One thing that I carry around more than any other thing  is my laptop (IBM Thinkpad). I know most people use MacBook Pros these days, but I still have a little life left in this laptop. While it is till working and doing the job, I will continue to use it until when it decides to pack it in and not respond to the power up button any longer. But while it still fine I won't

I think the reason my laptop has lasted this long is down to choosing a good 17 inch laptop backpack that will not leave your computer to the harsh element out there. If like me you carry your office around with you everywhere you go, it is important you use a good quality laptop backpack that is designed to handle anything that is thrown at it.

So, how do you go about investing in something that lasts? Well, it is down to a few quality features - these features should determine if it worth spend money on the 17 inch laptop backpack or not:

Quality: You need to know if it will last after 3 months of constant use. Most backpacks I've used over the years start showing signs of trouble a few month after constant use. So be sure to check for that. One cool backpack that I will recommend is the Red 17 Inch Backpack from Swiss Gear. These guys make some of the best backpack laptops out there in terms of quality. But they can sometime be on the pricey side.

Colour: This is something that varies - I prefer back as it blends with most things around including your outfit; and keeping it clean is of less concern.  If black is your colour, be sure to check out my review of SwissGear Computer Backpack. Also made by Swiss Gear, this is my personal favourite - it has everything I want in 17 inch backpack laptop. The quality is great. It comes with a a mobile phone pocket, a computer compartment, an airflow back system, shoulder straps, a water bottle pocket, audio interface organizer pockets for business accessories, and a sunglasses holder. And not forgetting that it also water proof, keeping all your items from getting soaked if caught in the rain.

Price: Although prices vary according to makes and model. You should be looking for something that is less than $100. For example, the Swiss Gear Computer Backpack is going for $40 the last time I checked on Amazon.com here. They were on sale for less than 70% of the original price. So be sure to check for special offers like that before you buy.

Design: One thing that most people don't seem to agree on is design. Different people see things differently, this could be anything to do with cultural background, taste, opinion or fashion. But what you should be looking for is something that can hold your items and still have enough room for other things like camera, phones, keys and even your books and wallets. Check the straps for length, see if the latch hook is made of plastic or metal. These things matter for how long your 17 inch laptop backpack will last. You don't want to be seen with a relatively new laptop backpack with the strap broken off. Again, check how the strap joins the top and bottom of the backpack.

One thing that I look out for is the inside... does it have enough padding to protect my laptop in case of accidental falls?

If you follow these tips when next you want to buy any laptop backpack, it doesn't matter if it is a 17 inch laptop backpack - you will not go wrong. So, here's our run down of the top 5:

5 Top 17 Inch Laptop Backpacks

1.  SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black)
2. Targus CityGear Chicago Backpack Case for 15.4 Inch Notebooks TCG650
3. Swiss Gear Ibex 17-Inch Notebook Backpack
4. SA1908 ScanSmart Backpack
5. SYNERGY from SwissGear by Wenger Computer Backpack

No comments: